Friday, June 28, 2013

Outdoor oasis

I'm in the process of updating our deck.  So far, I used canvas drop cloths (Lowe's) to slipcover our outdated patio furniture and added some drapes (also canvas drop cloths) to help beat the heat from the afternoon sun.  The drapes are hung on conduit  poles found at the local hardware store and are quite a deal at $4 for a 10 foot length!
 
The light fixture (in the above picure) was green with opaque plastic globes.  I spray painted in the body in a silvery gray with a hammered finish.  It now resembles galvanized aluminum instead of green plastic. The opaque globes were replaced with mason jars and Edison bulbs.  The new bulbs give off a wonderful glow. 

Though I've made progress, I still have a long wish list. Next is a rug for the seating area.  I found a few candiates at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as World Market and Lowe's.  All are resonably priced at around $75.00 for a 5 x 7 rug.

Another item on my list is a new base for the marble coffee table.  My husband found this gem in the dumpster at work more than 15 years ago.  I fell in love with it immediately. (Good move hubby!) Currently it sits on an iron patio table but it needs something more substantial.  The iron legs are too spindly for that beautiful top. 

There is still so much to do but I think I'm finally on the path to my oasis!





No comments:

Post a Comment