Friday, February 22, 2013

Dining Area Seating

I have a small ranch house.

It was built in the 1950s.  It's not large by any means, coming in at only 1100 square feet. It worked well for a family of 3.5.  I say 3.5 because as one daughter entered kindergarten, the other went off to college.  Yes, college.  Long story, different blog.

Many years and two grandsons later, the house still works for my husband and me.  The space problem only rears its ugly head when we have family gatherings.  I find myself rearranging the entire house in order to enjoy a meal with my growing brood. Out of the overstuffed hall closet comes the leaf for the table, next I wrangle up extra chairs and finally, in order to have elbow room, some pieces are moved to other rooms.  It's exhausting.

Inevitably, my grandsons end up seated at the coffee table and my son-in-law plops on the couch.  He says it's to watch the boys but I know he just wants to watch TV.  Of course, once my husband realizes that Joe gets to sit on couch, he moves to the couch too.  Monkey see, monkey do.  So much for the family togetherness!

Well, now I have a plan. 

I am obsessed with window seats.  They are so pretty and inviting plus they provide lots of storage.  I love the coziness of pillows along the wall. It's a wonderful way to introduce different colors and patterns. I can just imagine sitting at my window enjoying a cup of coffee while pouring over my favorite magazines (on my tablet, of course).

First and foremost the outdated oak china cabinet must go.  It will be replaced with a wall to wall storage bench.  Next, the small round oak table will be swapped out with a  rectangular one large enough to accomodate eight.  The fabulous upholstered dining chairs will make the cut.  They just need new slipcovers that will coordinate with the bench cushion.  A few accent pillows (many, many pillows!) and voila!  Problem solved.

Sounds good.  I can't wait to start.  Just one problem...I have to convince my husband.  This will be the toughest part of the project!  Wish me luck!

[houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/458028/CONNECTING-SPACES-traditional-kitchen-boston]

No comments:

Post a Comment